Friday 25 March 2016

Rabat to El Jadida - perfect

I have officially decided to curtail my trip and not head through Mauritania to Senegal. This is because my 11 year old bike has started to burn oil. At present it is manageable as it has consumed just less than 1 litre in 1200 miles. However if I was to bust a piston ring in Mauritania I would be coming home by camel. And I bet it's a bugger to get it a pet passport and get it on the ferry! And what would I do with it at home? Maybe I could put it in Margaret's field with her sheep if she did not mind.
Now I'm riding in the warm Spring sunshine and it is sublime! The 150 miles between Rabat and El Jadida were easy. I am now only about 130 miles from Marrakesh and about the same from Essouaria, my next destination. But for the next 4 days I will be here staying in an apartment in an attempt to keep the expenditure down! The apartment is comfortable and modern but, compared with my room in the Medina in Rabat, very bland. It is brand new, in fact I think I'm the only inhabitant in the whole block!
Would someone turn down the volume on those sheets:


Morocco continues to surprise as soon after I arrive the refuse collector turned up:
 
And sheep were grazing on the pile of rubbish just outside:



I am in the Safari Pub near the sea front, taking advantage of the wifi, and there appears to be a demonstration going on outside. The waiter tells me that it is about money. Nothing new there then! There is lots of shouting and plenty of Police, something Morocco is not short of! The town has 2 parts; a modern town with a rather tacky sea front and, a Portuguese old town which is a World Heritage site and I intend to visit tomorrow.

On the bike I have now perfected my mounting technique (oo err Missus!) because, with the pack on the back seat, I was having trouble getting my leg over (Matron!). But now I leave the bike on it's side-stand and stand on the left footrest and sling my right leg over - no problem even with my short legs!
I think I've found the reason for the nature of the driving over here. Here is the driving school!!


I shall report on the old town tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment