Thursday 7 April 2016

Blockbusters

There are two film studios here in Ouarzazate where some very famous films have been made and I took the time to visit them both. Firstly I went to CLA Studios where Body of Lies and most recently Prince of Persia were made. Some of the sets are beginning to look a little worse for wear but I guess that is only to be expected as they are made of plastic resin, plaster, and polystyrene. Our enthusiastic guide gave us all the details. Some of Gladiator was made here also. It looks like the work was split between the 2 studios. Here is a selfie in front of the set for Gladiator. I think there is an uncanny likeness between Russell Crowe and myself though he may have a few pounds on me!

The guide told me that the stars of these Blockbusters don't hang around for long. Everything is made ready and they fly into Rabat, get a private jet to Ouarzazate airport, and arrive by helicopter. He told me that Brad Pitt filmed one scene from Seven Years in Tibet here and was in and out in 1 day!
They had made Cleopatra's Palace for a recent French film and I asked why there were slid marks in front. It transpires that BBC's Top Gear were there last week filming a sequence when cars were raced around the various outdoor sets!

The second studio, Atlas Corporation Studios, was more interesting. They had been formed in 1983 in order to film the Michael Douglas film 'The Jewel on the Nile' and had on from that to do 'Gladiator', 'The Kingdom of Heaven', and that family favourite 'The Hills Have Eyes'! Most recently they did a remake of 'Ben Hurr'.
Here is the slave galley from Ben Hurr:

And a gory prop from 'The Hills Have Eyes':
They also have a selection of props from 'Seven Years in Tibet'. I again I have a remarkable likeness to Brad Pitt (more like his brother Arm).

Anyone recognise this?


It held the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark!

The next part was a real treat. I took the track across several miles of desert to where they had built the castle for 'The Kingdom of Heaven'. It is astonishing in the authenticity and detail that went into it's creation. It is truly huge and impressive and is still surrounded by some of the siege equipment used in the film.
  



But when you look around the back you realise that it is plastic and held up with scaffolding!


It was great to get out on the trails to this fantastic destination.



I'm have the 5 hour trip to Agadir tomorrow where I will stay for a couple of days before moving on to Essouaria.






No comments:

Post a Comment