Friday 1 April 2016

Jemaa el Fna

I went out last night to visit what is one of the most famous city squares in the world, Jamaa el Fna. I went down at dusk so I could see it both in the daylight and then, later, in the dark. I'm not sure that it matched the hype. The snake charmers were present but their serpents were sluggish and not very compliant. The Berber folk singers were quite interesting but the touts are extremely aggressive.

So I went to a restaurant nearby to eat and wait for darkness to see if the place improved. I had an excellent dinner enjoying the local Berber cuisine and I had the additional perk of a belly dancer (I thought that was a Turkish thing).

When I returned to the square the atmosphere had improved and the story-tellers were out in force attracting large crowds as they spun their yarns. This was a magical sight although I could not understand a word! Around the edges of the square were stalls selling all sorts of trinkets and trash particularly English Premiership football shirts!

Today I had a lazy day around the pool. I only have one pair of shorts and thought that they would be ok for swimming. However once wet they went almost translucent and I had to rapidly retreat from the water and cover up so as not to frighten the children. I have since walked up to the local shopping mall a bought a very expensive pair of shorts that will protect my decency.
Walking towards the mall I spotted the high peaks of the Atlas Mountains
I will be heading towards them on Monday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment